History of Guymon: The Louisiana Purchase first established the eastern boundary of the Oklahoma Panhandle in 1803. The northern boundary of Texas (southern boundary of No Man's Land), when it entered the United States, was set by the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and extended for Texas (Texas wanted to enter as a slave state and the Compromise forbade any slave state north of the parallel). Texas ceded the territory north of 3630' to the Union, settling the southern boundary. Kansas claimed the 37th parallel as its southern boundary in 1861, becoming the northern boundary of No Man's Land. In 1863, New Mexico was given its present boundaries upon the formation of the Arizona Territory (the western border of No Man's Land). The area not claimed by Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, and Texas became known as No Man's Land, The Strip, and The Neutral Strip. In 1890, the Organic Act was signed and No Man's Land was joined with Indian Territory to form Oklahoma Territory. Edward T. "E.T." Guymon was born in Illinois in 1859. In his early 20s, he came west to McPherson, Kansas, where he worked as a grocery store clerk. Eventually, Mr. Guymon acquired an interest in the store. The Rock Island Railroad began pushing southwest in the spring of 1888 and reached Liberal, Kansas. Mr. Guymon established the Star Grocery Company in Liberal. In the 1890s Mr. Guymon speculated the next town to come up along the future railroad would be west of the Beaver River. He purchased a section of land, which eventually became the original town of Guymon. First named Sanford, the railroad changed the name to avoid confusion with the city of Stratford further down the line. The Rock Island officials telegraphed Guymon and asked his permission to name the town Guymon. E.T. Guymon established the Star Mercantile on the site now occupied by Stanfield Printing. He was the largest stockholder and first president of the City National Bank.