The Flinn Gallery is a non-profit, education oriented exhibition space that presents art in all mediums from a wide range of periods, visions and techniques. The Art Committee sponsored by the Friends of the Greenwich Library runs the gallery by volunteers who curate and mount six exhibitions every year from September to June. For each exhibition, the Art Committee creates an invitation that is mailed to over 5,000 area residents. Also, each exhibit is extensively publicized locally and throughout the area in print and online. History In 1912 , Greenwich Society of Artists, a group of professional artists related to the Cos Cob Art Colony, started the original art gallery. During that time, Mr. Robert Moffat Bruce of the Bruce Museum, welcomed the artists to hold shows in his home. In 1928, the group established the gallery at the Greenwich Library on Greenwich Avenue. at the site of the defunct Woolworths and currently Saks 5th Avenue. During the years of WWII, the gallery was closed. In 1956, the Greenwich Library moved to the Franklin Simon building, the current Greenwich Library on West Putnam Avenue. Initially, the gallery was located on the third floor of the old building. After the library designated the third floor to be the childrens room in 1982, the exhibition space was moved to the second floor and named the Hurlbutt Gallery honoring a former Director of the library, Isabelle Hurlbutt. The Hurlbutt was closed for two years while the library went under extensive remodeling and the construction of an addition of a large wing designed by internationally renowned architect, Cesar Peli. The bright and spacious new gallery is located on the second floor. In 2000, the gallery was renamed as the Flinn Gallery in recognition of Stephanie and Lawrence Flinn, generous contributors to the capital campaign.