History: In September 1877, the old Methodist Episcopal Church building on the corner of Fourth St. and College Avenue was purchased by Delevan B. Hawley and Isaac N. Enloe for $600. On February 14, 1878, the First Christian Church of Greenville was organized, with 21 charter members. Three days later, on February 17, the first revival meeting was conducted by J. Carroll Stark of Hancock County, Illinois. The second building housing the Believers of the First Christian Church was erected in late 1890 on the northwest corner of Main and Prairie streets, with the dedication taking place on Sunday, August 23, 1891. The gymnasium and athletic room was added in 1910 by E.E. Wise for his Sunday School class of 35 boys. Bible School was organized on April 28, 1889, with 60 pupils and 6 teachers. The parsonage was erected in 1954 on Prairie Street, and in 1959, with the church bulging at the seams, the Building Committee began formulating plans for a new church building. Ground breaking for the newand currentchurch took place on March 26, 1961, with the cornerstone ceremony held on September 24 of that year. A year later, on September 16, 1962, the new building was dedicated. The balcony addition was completed in 1983, and the wings were added in 1989 as attendance continued to increase. The Music Room was included in this expansion, and Parlor and office renovations also took place during this time. In 1998, the Board decided to set in motion the wheels for completion of a new Family Life Center, along with renovations in the sanctuary. That project was completed in fall 2001. Renovations to the old Fellowship Hall were completed in November 2002 to add more classroom and meeting room space.