History : The Very Beginning The first house built in the vicinity of Gordon, was an inn about three miles from present town and was a stage stop between Milledgeville and Hawkinsville, one of Georgia's most noted stage routes. The first community in the area was centered around Ramah Church, which was constituted July 10, 1809 by the Brethren Gaylord and McGinty with ten members. Educational, social and cultural affairs of the community centered around the Church for years before Gordon was established. Central of Georgia Railroad The Central of Georgia Railroad was laid out through this territory in 1840 and the first passenger train came through Gordon in 1843. The coaches were quite different from the ones of today. They were more like streetcars of some years ago. The first freight train came through in 1856 and it took a week to make a round trip from Gordon to Savannah. The train was made up of ten or twelve cars which were much smaller than the ones we now have. The engines were wood burners. Wood was supplied by contractors and wood yards were located along the tracks because the engines could not carry a very large supply and required frequent reloading. Often times the wood on the engines would be ignited by sparks from the smoke stack and the train crew would race the engines to a water tank to extinguish the blaze if there was not sufficient water on the engine.