Lough Memorials was founded in 1874 by Uriah Alexander Washington Lough. In 1912 the business re-located to 121 South Market Street. Before retiring U.A. Lough brought his son Charles into the business. Charles eventually retired and sold the business to two of his dedicated employees, Wilson Waltz and Frank Griffin. In 1982 Wilson Waltz sold the business to Merkle Monuments an established family owned memorial business with a tradition of excellence in quality and craftsmanship. Geoffrey Merkle Irwin, grandson of Raymond G. Merkle (founder of Merkle Monuments) is Vice-President in charge of Western Operations.Geoffrey M. Irwin, a third generation memorialist is active in the memorial industry as well as the community. He is a board member of the Mid-Atlantic Monument Builders and has served as a District Trustee (representing DE, DC, MD. PA, & NJ) for the Monument Builders of North America. Mr. Irwin is a Frederick resident and volunteers with several community organizations.The staff at Lough Memorials are very active in the community giving time and resources to many charitable causes.