D.a.varnado Store Museum936 Pearl St, Franklinton, LA 70438
Email this business
The Varnado Store Museum is housed in an historic building in downtown Franklinton, LA, parish seat of Washington Parish. The two-story, century-old structure was a hub of activity in the early days of Washington Parish as farmers would come to town, sell their produce and purchase needed supplies.Early records show that the building was built prior to 1910 and was owned by Daniel E. Sheridan, a timber dealer, real estate agent, Franklinton alderman, and director of the Bank of Franklinton and the First State Bank of Bogalusa. A 1910 map of Franklinton shows that W. C. Lonnergan, formerly of Carriere, MS, owned the business, which had on hand a very large general stock comprising fancy and staple groceries, dry goods, notions, shoes, hats and clothing along with a big line of feed stuffs, harness and saddlery, and farming implements. He drew trade from a fifteen mile radius of town and shipped to points along the N.O. and Great Northern Railroad. He was a member of Woodmen of the World and took a keen interest in the development and advancement of his town.Other previous owners include S. H. Burris, who owned the store in 1913. In 1920 the David A. Varnado family purchased the store, and they worked the store until it closed in the mid 1980s. Some of the people who worked at the store over the years were Mrs. Delos (Mildred) Magee, Olan Varnado, Mrs. Lillie Varnado, Lena Varnado, Theodore Alford, Mary Jones Burkhalter, Doris Erwin's father, and countless others.