Barrow Civic Theatre1223 Liberty St, Franklin, PA 16323
History:Civics first stage was located on a cement slab which originally was a base for one of the large oil tanks of the former Atlantic Refinery located on Route 8 North about 1 mile from Franklin. This outdoor theatre served Civic for two years, after which operations were moved to George Shaws Red Barn on Route 322, Victory Heights, where productions were staged until 1965, when road construction widening of Route 322 necessitated a move to the new Franklin Area High School Auditorium. Todays home is the beautiful Barrow-Civic Theatre located in downtown Franklin at 1223 Liberty Street. Civic sprung into action, hiring contractors and architects to design and build the new theatre. The Kiwanis Club of Franklin donated monies towards new signage and a new marquee. Another Civic campaign was launched to raise the rest of the needed monies for a project totaling over 1.7 million dollars. Reconstruction began on the newly renamed Barrow-Civic Theatre in October 1992, under the supervision of Toby Saltarelli. August 14, 1993 was a thrilling night as Civic formally dedicated the new Barrow-Civic Theatre. With special guests Charles Barrow, Lucille Hirsch, and many others who contributed to the success of the theatre, Franklin Civic presented the musical 1776, highlighting not only the birth of a nation but also the birth of a theatre. Since the turn of the century, Civic and the Barrow-Civic have seen activity increase on stage. The Barrow-Civic has played host to professional operas and touring companies, singers and songwriters, and a wide variety of acts, shows and performers. The Three Irish Tenors, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, the Elks Vegas Show, and Menopause highlight just a few of the many professional touring groups which have graced the stage in Franklin.