History: The Episcopal Church of S. Mary the Virgin began in 1890 with the memorial gift of a summer chapel. The granite structure was inspired by the Norman church of S. Marys in Iffley, Oxfordshire, England. The Norman tower was added in 1902, and, by 1950, the addition of the nave and narthex completed the church as it stands today. It seats some 150-180 people, and the richly-stained glass windows and well-chosen furnishings create a setting for both quiet services and joyous celebrations. During the past two decades, parishioners and friends have been making individually-designed needlepoint kneelers for each chair in the church. Designs from the kneelers have been drawn from the Old and New Testaments and include depictions of ancient crosses and many saints. The Cassavant tracker organ was given in 1979 by the church founders grandson. It is located in a gallery at the west end of the church, where there is seating for the choir.