History: The roots of the Kenton County Public Library can be traced back to 1899 as several distinguished citizens of Covington, Kentucky, convened to discuss the need for a public library for its citizens. In 1901 a newly appointed library Board passed rules that declared there be free library service to every man, woman, and child in Covington, making the Covington Library one of the first in the south to provide racially integrated service. With a $75,000 contribution from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie the new Carnegie Library opened on March 16, 1904 to the citizens of Covington. In 1914 the Erlanger Library was established by the Erlanger Womenżżżs Club. This library was operated by volunteers and one librarian. Despite its struggles and many location changes over the years, the community embraced the Erlanger Branch Library. As the years passed each library continued to grow. On March 22, 1953 the residents of rural Kenton County received bookmobile service. By 1967 Kenton County had three independent libraries, the Covington Library, the Erlanger Library, and the bookmobile. In order to secure reliable funding for library service for the residents of Kenton County it was determined that a county library system be established. To do so the library would need to get 14,865 signatures for the tax rate to be approved. More than 16,000 signatures were obtained. The Covington Library, the Erlanger Library and the bookmobile merged under the newly formed Kenton County Public Library District. With secured funding the Library flourished. A new main library was constructed in Covington, a beautiful new library was established in rural Kenton County to replace the bookmobile and the Erlanger Branch has grown to be the busiest branch library in the state of Kentucky. Construction of a new, large rural library in Nicholson is underway which will meet the needs of the fastest growing community in Kentucky. As the Library embarks on a new century it continues to provide the best library service possible to readers all over the world.