Holly Hall Elementary School is located in the eastern section of Cecil County, Maryland. The school is bordered by White Hall Road, the SunRise Nursing Facility, and single family homes and apartments. Geographically, it is situated in close proximity to the head of the Elk River, within the town limits of Elkton.This area of Maryland has a colorful history. Archeologists believe it to be occupied as early as 9300 B.C. Archaic-Indian artifacts have been found in this region, indicating occupation from 8000 - 2000 B.C. by groups of nomadic hunters and gatherers. For 11,000 years, the surrounding rivers and caves in Cecil County and the Chesapeake Bay area drew a melting pot of Indian cultures to the area where fish, game, fruits, and roots were plentiful. By the early decades of the nineteenth century, Elkton had surrounded itself with a number of raw materials that spilled out of the countryside and transformed them into marketable products. Elkton harbor, at the head of the tidal Elk River's navigable waters, gave rise to the town's marketplace importance. At the turn of the century, Elkton had been called one of the greatest wheat markets in America. Elkton would again gain national recognition in the 1940's as World War II was in full swing. By 1943, 11,500 workers - nearly 80% of them women - had migrated to Elkton to work in munitions plants. This was more than three times the town's permanent population, which totaled 3,518 in 1940. To provide housing for the newcomers, almost 100 small dwellings were built in a development known as Hollingsworth Manor. The Hollingsworth Manor Elementary School was created due to this population boom. Eventually, 6,000 more people arrived in town, following family members who were employed at the munitions plants. Some were hoping to profit from the opportunities presented by a new city literally growing overnight. In September 1962, Hollingsworth Manor Elementary School's name was changed to Holly Hall Elementary School. The name was derived from the historical federal mansion, Holly Hall, which was erected in 1802 on the south side of Elkton for James Sewell, a prominent Army general. While awaiting construction of the new Holly Hall Elementary School, the school was temporarily located in a wing of Elkton Middle School, which was then Elkton High School. In April of 1963, Holly Hall Elementary School was first opened with an enrollment of 390 students with twelve full time teachers. In October of the same year, the Daughters of the American Revolution presented and planted a holly tree in honor of the new school.