Christiana Creek Country Club - Club Ofc116 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514
Chartered on May 12, 1898. First members were initiated by South Bend Lodge #235. Meetings were held on the second floor of 123 South Main St. A new Elks Temple was constructed in 1905 and occupied in 1906. It was located at the south side of the clock tower on the plaza. This 3-story building cost $100,000. Basement had a swimming pool (see what our swimming pool is like today)and fitness center, 1st floor was rented to retailers, 2nd floor had ladies room, library & reading room, lounge, card room, pool tables, kitchen. 3rd floor featured carpeted lodge room w/ theater seats, ballroom, kitchen & banquet facility. Membership grew at one time to over 900 until the great depression of the 30?s. Membership dwindled to 209 in 1938. The building mortgage could not be paid and the area rented for retail was vacant. With the declining membership and loss of revenue, the Elks lost their temple! In December, 1938 the Morehouse- Stevenson home was purchased. It was located in the 100 block of South Main between the former gas company and McDonalds. The beautiful 3-story home had a small dining area, large kitchen & stag bar in the basement, a reception lounge, bar & cocktail lounge, small kitchen and dining area on the 1st floor, a ladies room lodge office, card rooms and pool tables on the 2nd floor, and a dance floor, lodge room & small bar on the 3rd floor. This building cost $11,000 and was paid in full June, 1940. All carpeting & fixtures that could be used were installed by the brothers. Membership grew to 425 within 3 years. In 1949 Christiana Creek Country Club was purchased for $53,000. The 135 acres had a nine hole golf course. The Lodge continued to run both locations until 1957 when it became apparent that operating both was too much of a burden. A new addition to the old structure at the club was completed and the Town Club & Lodge was sold. The Christiana Club and the new addition was purchased through the sale of U.S. Savings Bonds the Lodge accumulated between 1940-1957. There were no debts at this time. Membership continued to grow and there was an intense interest for a swimming pool. To accomplish this addition 427 members donated $150 each to add the swimming pool, buildings, and pro shop. Completed in 1958, it was paid in full. In 1959 we decided to start plans for an additional 9 holes. There were numerous problems due to the swampland. Work continued through 1961 when the final work on new greens was completed. The cost of this project was $186,000 and a ten year, $90,000 mortgage was secured. By 1963 we had our largest membership, 1802. In 1972 a complete new kitchen and men?s locker room was constructed at a cost of over $200,000. A mortgage of $192,000 was secured and paid off through ten years of running bingo on Thursday nights. From 1966-1982 the membership dropped to under 1000 members. The Lodge and club operations showed an overall loss and members had to take serious look at our situation. From 1982 to the present time, extensive remodeling and decorating took place to give the facility a much needed facelift. Among the improvements were a beautifully enlarged dining room, relocation of offices to downstairs, new ladies room, enlarged and paved parking lot, redecorated (for the second time) dining room, sprinkler system for the golf course, remodeled pool building. Current membership has been maintained at the 1100 level for several years.