Elizabethton Carter County Public Library201 N Sycamore St, Elizabethton, TN 37643
(423) 547-6360 Additional Contacts
The Elizabethton Public Library was established in 1929 by the Business & Professional Women's Club and was housed in several temporary locations until 1949, when the B&PW Club built a new library building and deeded it to the City of Elizabethton for operation. For the next forty-two years the library occupied the building at 212 North Sycamore Street while the collection grew from 2,500 to over 30,000 books. In 1992, the library converted the former Post Office Building in downtown Elizabethton and moved into our present location at 201 North Sycamore Street. The Elizabethton/Carter County Public Library actively collects and maintains a wide variety of popular materials of current interest to encourage reading and provide information and recreation for people of all ages. Special emphasis is placed on making reading an enjoyable activity for young children, motivating them to develop intellectual curiosity and a lifelong interest in learning. The library collection contains a broad base of general knowledge to provide the community with needed information and assist people in reaching their life goals, supporting and encouraging individual learners in their pursuit of independent interests.