History:First Baptist Church was organized in August of 1860. The first sanctuary, located at the corner of Thomas and Elbert Streets, cost only $2,000, half of which was raised by the pastor, L.W. Stephens. By 1887, however, that sanctuary was not sufficient for the rapidly growing congregation. In that year, the lot on the corner of Thomas and Heard Streets was purchased from E. Brewer Tate and a new building was erected. This new church was wooden, also. Even this new building could not hold the growing congregation, though, and before too long, it was time to build again. Planning began in 1897 for a new sanctuary. Money became a problem, however, as estimates for this new sanctuary soared above $20,000. To reduce the price, it was decided that the construction would be done by locals, under the supervision of a foreman. The building was finished in 1897 or 1898. This building still stands today, and is used as the chapel and sanctuary for the Hispanic congregation. There were no new additions erected until 1929, when construction began on a new Sunday School Annex. This was completed in 1935, and was sufficient until 1952, when the E. Brewer Tate House, used then as the pastorium, was torn down and the second Sunday School Annex was erected. In 1961, the congregation began looking at the future of the church. It was decided that the church needed a new sanctuary, more classrooms, more offices, and music facilities. James M. Hunt was chosen to design this new annex. Groundbreaking took place in February 1965, and the building was completed in April 1966. This addition remains in use today, housing the main sanctuary, choir room, nursery rooms, many Sunday School rooms, church offices, and more. Only a few years later, in 1985, then-pastor Al Meredith expressed a desire to build a "Family Life Center." This wing, completed in 1985, contains First Baptist's fellowship hall, kitchen, some offices and classrooms, and the old youth room and youth offices. Meredith also initiated plans for another annex, which would include a gym/multi-purpose room. However, it would not be until the late 1990s that this would be brought up again, under the leadership of Dr. C.E. (Jack) Jackson, III. The new Family Life Center would contain a gym/multi-purpose room, some classrooms, and the church's first elevator. Groundbreaking on the new $2.8 million building was in early 2001, and it was dedicated in March of 2002. It was decided that the building would be called the "Recreation Outreach Center," or the ROC. The building is used as an activity center and is often used for banquets, parties, and dinners.For further reading, see "History of the First Baptist Church of Elberton, 1860-1976" (published in 1977 by R.L. Bryan of Columbia, SC).