First United Methodist Church began in 1889 as the first minister came into Edmond. Methodism in Edmond began with 16 faithful people who worshipped in the Central Hotel west of Broadway in the unit block of First Street, and in the Catholic Church at the southwest corner of First and Boulevard. According to Mrs. William (Mary) Weaver, in "A Historical Survey of Our Pastor," it was on an August afternoon in 1889 that Rev. J.E. Roberts of the Darlington Mission Circuit rode into Edmond in a $2.00 cart, drawn by a little $5.00 pony. The first church building was begun in 1890, with the first services held on October 18, 1891. On November 9, 1891 the first classes of Central Normal School (now The University of Central Oklahoma) were held there with 23 students. In 1905 the little church at Hurd and Broadway was turned halfway round and joined to a new brick structure. It was renamed The Sarah E. Riley Memorial Methodist Church, in honor of District Superintendent Riley's mother. In 1912 the church had a total membership of 281. A two story parsonage was constructed north of the church in 1925. On December 6, 1925 the 36th anniversary of the church was celebrated and the note on the parsonage was burned leaving the church debt free. Two years later, on Sunday afternoon, October 16, 1927, the church burned to the ground. On Monday morning the congregation met to choose a site for a new church. After much consideration the present site was chosen at Jackson and Hurd streets. The trustees accepted an invitation to use the high school auditorium until the new church could be built. Under the leadership of Rev. George Fenn, plans were drawn and accepted. Rev. Fred Stephenson superintended the construction. The new building was completed, then dedicated on June 9, 1929. In 1939 on September 24th, "50 Years of Christian Service" was celebrated.