East Berlin Borough128 Water St, East Berlin, PA 17316
John Frankenberger, a Prussian, purchased two hundred acres of Land from Thomas and Richard Penn, for which he paid 28 pounds, 16 shillings and 7 pence. On May 8th, 1764 He laid out a town with 85 lots, one main street, 4 cross streets and five alleys. He named the new town Berlin, after his native town in Prussia. East was added to the name in 1827 when the town post office was established to distinguish it from another Berlin in Somerset Count, PA to the west of Adams County.During 1879 the people of East Berlin petitioned to have the town incorporated as a borough. This was achieved on November 10th, 1879. The first election in the new borough was held on February 17th, 1880. Elected were a Burgess, Town Council, School directors, Assessor, Judge, Inspectors, Justice of the Peace, Auditor and Constable. East Berlin had 243 taxpayers, 72 horses, 33 cows, 63 pleasure carriages, 9 gold watches and 14 acres of timber. The population growth of our town has been steady, if not spectacular. The 1820 population was 418 with todays population at approximately 1,400.The pleasant community of East Berlin has grown over the years and is still growing. Our area is a magnet for families because of the countryside, our modern town and our access to many amenities. East Berlin retains its Central Pennsylvania colonial charm because of the efforts and pride of our property owners. Our town is well maintained and many of the original homes have been lovingly restored.