Dupont was called the Smithville section of Pittston Township. Prior to incorporation, it was determined that another town in the Commonwealth was called Smithville, and so this section of Pittston Township had to be changed. The name was changed to the Dupont section of Pittston Township after a local industry in the area, The Dupont Powder Mill. Around 1914, an organization came about of dissatisfied township residents called, "The Independent Civic League Of Dupoint". This organization was the forerunner of the group that was instrumental in incorporating the borough in 1917.