Thornton Branch Library8992 Washington St, Thornton, CO 80229
Library History: The Adams County Public Library [ACPL] became the Adams County Library System [ACLS] in 1988. January 1st, 2004, the Library System officially became a Library District, with the name changed to Adams County Library District. This was an interim name. On April 21st, 2004, the Library Board approved the new name of Rangeview Library District, after a public contest was held to select a new name. The new name is being phased into use. Early Years: The ACPL provided its first service to the residents of Adams County in 1953, when the Community Chest allocated funds for a bookmobile demonstration. The Colorado State Library provided both the mobile unit and the books to stock the unit. In 1954, the library received funding from the County, and in 1959, the first Adams County bookmobile was purchased. The ACPL continued to serve Adams County residents exclusively with bookmobile service until sometime in the mid 1950s, when the first walk-in facility was opened in the Thornton Shopping Center at 88th and North Washington. This walk-in facility was located in the custodian's closet of a Miller's supermarket.