Decatur General Hospital1201 7th St SE, Decatur, AL 35601
Our Mission: Decatur General is committed to meeting the health and wellness needs of those we serve through compassionate care, innovation and medical excellence. This commitment is supported by service, technology and a dedication to continuous quality improvement. History: Decatur General, rich in history because of it ties to our community, began as the vision of a group ladies who banded together to care for a town suffering from a yellow fever epidemic in 1888. These ladies, known as the Ladies Benevolent Society, sold surplus supplies after the epidemic and set aside money to establish a hospital. In 1915, the ladies met their goal by opening Ladies Benevolent Society Hospital, the forerunner to Decatur General. Aug. 18, 1915 - Ladies Benevolent Society Hospital opened with 28 beds. 1923 - Hospital's first major edition included additional 34 beds, surgery and X-ray facilities. 1915-1944 - Hospital also served as a training school for nurses. 1945 - Benevolent Society Hospital ownership transferred to City of Decatur and Morgan County - renamed Decatur General Hospital. 1947 - Additions include more patient beds, kitchen and dining facilities. 1950 - Further expansion added 25 patient beds, storage space, laundry and maintenance services. 1956 - Surgical expansion added obstetrical beds, laboratory space, additional administrative space and facilities for the mentally ill. 1966 - Radiology, emergency and central supply services added, along with more patient beds. 1971 - Coronary and intensive care facilities began and a pediatric wing added. 1973 - Psychiatric care and physical therapy added as additional services. 1974 - New dietary and administrative suites completed. 1975 - Volunteer Program established. 1984 - Decatur General Foundation established to raise funds for existing programs and develop new healthcare services. 1986 - The five-story Raymond A. Britain wing completed. 1987 - Decatur General Oncology Center established. 1989 - 20-bed inpatient adult and adolescent psychiatric unit opened in hospital. First Camp Bluebird, North Alabama's only adult cancer camp, at St. Bernard in Cullman, Ala. 1990 - Mammography Center completed. First Lights of Love tree-lighting ceremony raised funds for hospital cancer programs. 1992 - Cardiac Catheterization Lab added. 1993 - Decatur General West Behavioral Medicine Center opened on Kathy Lane in Southwest Decatur. 1995 - Medical Plaza, Parking Deck and Skywalk established on main campus of hospital. Hospital acquires Decatur Pediatrics. 1997 - Women's Center established, covering entire fifth floor of hospital. Two outpatient physical therapy clinics established RehabAccess East and West. Hospital acquires Riverside Pediatrics. 1998 - Emergency Department expanded to 12,000 square feet, double its previous size. Sleep Disorders Center established. 1999 - Priceville Internal Medicine opened, serving as only health clinic in the town of Priceville. 2000 - Kermit Pitt, MD Pediatric Center opened on fourth floor of hospital. 2001 - RehabAccess clinics combined into one and relocated at new, 20,000 square foot facility in Southwest Decatur. 2002 - Planning stages begin for facility expansion. Plans underway for Community Free Clinic, Decatur-Morgan County, Inc. Wellness Center opens at Decatur General RehabAccess. 2003 - Hospitalist Program is implemented. 2004 - New services include: Stroke Center, Cardiovascular Center, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Bariatric Surgery, and Surgery Center of Decatur-an outpatient surgery clinic.