Northwest Branch Library11355 Regency Green Dr, Cypress, TX 77429
The Northwest Branch was built in 1983, and dedicated May 1984. Marsha Carlevaro was instrumental in getting the library established in Cypress. She contacted Harris County Commissioner Bob Eckels and he told her to find the land. Rosa Chang, who was developing the Regency Athletic Club, which is now The Met, donated the land. Six hundred residents went door-to-door collecting materials for a book sale to raise money. The sale was held at the Metropolitan Baptist Church and raised $1400.00. Private individuals and companies donated an additional $70,000.00. The funds were used for equipment and books. For her efforts Marsha received the Precinct #3 Outstanding Citizenship Award. Friends of the Library Northwest Friends Of the Library was begun 17 years ago and at one point had 750 members. It was established in order to raise funds for materials for the new library. The Friends continue to hold annual book sales, and do volunteer work at the branch.