Efforts to start a Lutheran Church in Cuero began in 1880. St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church was finally organized on July 18, 1886, as a mission congregation of the German Texas Synod. During the time between these two dates, services were held in Cuero with the help of Lutheran pastors from Meyersville and Victoria. Services were held, originally, in the German School House (at the present location of East Newman and South Gonzales Streets) and in the Union Church, which eventually became the worship center for the German Methodists. A fire demolished the organ loft and organ in 1962. A new organ, organ loft, and choir loft appeared as a result of this tragedy in 1963, along with other refurnishing work in the sanctuary and nave. The baptismal font (pictured above) in front of the south transept was repainted by a young commercial artist from Victoria at the time, Dalhart Windberg. He gave his work on the statue as a donation. Today Mr. Windberg is an internationally recognized artist of great eminence. On December 20, 1959, the ample fellowship hall and education building was dedicated to the glory of God for use by God's people for "fellowship and education." The Annex, which houses the church's offices, some Education and Meeting Rooms, rest rooms, and small kitchen, was completed in 1986, as a part of the congregation's 100th Anniversary. The first building, on the congregations property at Esplanade and Live Oak Streets, housed its first worship service on August 4, 1889. This building housed the worship of God's people at St. Mark's until the present structure was dedicated on Christmas Eve, 1939. St. Mark's present worship building proved to be an architectural gem, acclaimed by Dr. Strodach in "A Manual of Worship," as a "perfect example of architecture indigenous to its environment." The external appearance of St. Mark's Lutheran Church resembles the many missions planted in the early days of the Christianization of South Texas, making it one of the most photographed churches in our state. The interior of the building is a classic example of early church architecture, built in the form of the cross. The nave is approximately 2/3 of the total length of the building, with the chancel area covering the other third. Near the chancel, the transepts extend north and south, creating the arms of the cross. Many people still find solace and peace in the sacred holiness of the church, even during the week, as they come to kneel or sit and pray. We hope you will come and spend some time in prayer with God in our sanctuary, and that you are as blessed in the holiness of this space God has given his people as we are.