EARLY DAYS OF CROSSETT The Crossett Lumber Company was formed in 1899 when three Iowa investors bought a vast Arkansas forest which consisted of 920 square miles of tall, whispering pines laced only by wandering wagon trails and deer paths. The Company hauled in a sawmill and imported workers. Gradually a little town took shape. They called the town Crossett. Every dwelling and inch of land, with the exception of the lot on which the post office stood, was owned by the company. In 1900, Mr Edgar Gates opened a land office in Hamburg. At the end of the year, he had bought another thousand acres. In November 1901, Mr. Gates decided to move in heavy machinery regardless of the heavy rains that were falling. Then in 1902 Crossett was incorporated as a town, mainly to get recognition for mail delivery. EARLY DAYS OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH A church was built in June 1902 that was 16 X 32 feet. This inter-denominational church was put up overnight by the citizens of the town and headed by Mr. Gates to keep away a saloon. The building was also used for a school during the week. Soon enough Baptists lived in the area, and they began to meet in a dwelling at 310 Oak Street, Rev. N.C. Denson, an early pioneer Baptist preacher in Arkansas, preached the first sermon and held services twice a month. During the summer of 1905, a revival was held in a brush arbor on the corner of Beech Street and Gates Avenue (presently Third Avenue). In the spring of 1906, the Baptist church was organized with nine charter members. They were Mr. and Mrs. Sam Linder, Mr. and Mrs. R.M. Courson, Mr. and Mrs. Will Denton, Miss Nina Pennington, Miss Ida Pennington, and Mr. J.M. Willis. In the Fall of 1907, on land donated by the Crossett Lumber Company at the corner of Beech and Gates Avenue and with half of the cost paid by the company, the first church building was erected. At this time, this was the southern end of town. Members volunteered one day a week of their time to help construct the church. The membership grew quickly in the first years of its existence, and in 1908 a Women's Union was organized.