City Of Coatesville1 City Hall Pl, Coatesville, PA 19320
Coatesville's location along the Brandywine River in the midst of the Chester Valley stimulated its growth and prosperity. The first settlement was an Indian village which had grown as a trading center and as a marker for the fur trapping industry. Records indicate land holdings as early as 1714 by William Fleming , a native of Greenock, Scotland. Another early resident was Peter Bazillion, Indian fur trader and merchant, whose accomplishments were recognized with a market place on Oak Street by the Pennsylvania Historic and Museum Commission.In 1787, Moses Coates, a prosperous farmer and the area's first postmaster, purchased land which now comprises the center of the town.