History In January of 1905 the "Coalinga Women's Improvement Club" was formed and their first order of business was to provide a reading room for the community. The ladies felt that the men needed a place to improve their minds. "(Remember - most of these men were oil workers, roust-abouts and well pullers)". This reading room would house books on loan from the Fresno County Library. During this time the library was housed in an ice cream parlor, and then moved to a Dr.'s office where a fire in July of 1910 destroyed the library, the fire station, the opera house and 17 businesses in all. An article in the Coalinga Oil Daily in mid 1910 indicates a major discussion in town concerning the building of a reading room or a cemetery. The library would win the argument since the town did not have a cemetery until the late 1950's. In September of 1910 Sarah McCardle, Fresno Co. Assistant Librarian, met with the local newspaper and they agreed to temporarily house the collection. The Ladies Improvement Club was not interested in taking part again. Fresno Co. would reestablish the collection of 100 titles with 10 additional titles each month of the patron's choosing. In February 1911 the library was moved from the newspaper office to Farrar & Blaze cash grocery store. At this time Coalinga requested a set of encyclopedias and Miss McCardle responded that Fresno had two sets and she thought one might be sent over. In July 1911 the library was again moved - this time to the new Soda Grill. Miss McCardle again arrived on the 9:20 train and spent the day moving books into the new location. In June 1912 members of the Coalinga library committee attended the Fresno Co. Board of Supervisors meeting with the request that Coalinga be allowed to withdraw from the Co. System and establish their own library district. Fresno Co. officials voiced the only objections heard by the Board of Supervisors. The cost to the local taxpayers would be three cents on $100 of assessed value. This tax levy would be much less than it would be if taxed with the balance of the county. Permission was given and on June 24, 1912 an election was held. With a vote of 526 to 1 the formation of the Coalinga Union School District Library District was a reality and would serve the same boundaries as the School District and would have the same Board of Trustees. A lot at the corner of 4th. and D streets was purchased. It included a small stucco house which would serve as the library until such time as a new building could be built. This would continue to be the location of all future Coalinga library buildings.