Looking for a service provider?
Get the protection of SuperGuarantee®
About Us Historic Clifton Mill is one of the largest water powered grist mills still in existence. The first mill at this site was built in 1802 by Owen Davis, a Revolutionary War soldier and frontiersman miller. The mill was built in this location to take advantage of the natural power of the concentrated water funneled into the gorge. Owen Davis and his son-in-law, General Benjamin Whiteman also built a saw mill and a distillery. Soon a village known as Davis Mills sprang up around the mills. The Little Miami River powered five other mills that were built within a mile of Clifton Mill, a woolen mill, saw mill, paper mill, barrel mill and another grist mill. Clifton Mill is the only one still standing.