Green Township6303 Harrison Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45247
History: Green Township was formed in 1809 by early settlers who made their living as hunters and trappers. Farming soon became the area's mainstay, with 848 farms in operation by 1920. Green Township Historical Association records show the township was originally laid out in a perfect square. Its eastern and southern borders were altered, though, when Westwood, an early part of Green Township was annexed by Cincinnati in 1896. In 1900, the area then known as Beech Flats was incorporated as the village of Cheviot. Because of the soggy Millcreek Valley and the area's steep hillsides, Green Township remained a rural farming area until the streetcar made its debut in the 1900s. In 1908, the new Harrison Avenue Viaduct opened travel to Cincinnati's west side. When it was replaced by the Western Hills Viaduct in 1932, automobile drivers began to make their way west. Better roads and cars in the 1930s and 1940s enabled people to live in the township's wide-open spaces and still work in Cincinnati or the industrial Millcreek Valley. Cincinnati families began the exodus to the west side, building new homes and encouraging the development of local schools and churches. By 1940, there were 18,500 residents in Green Township. By 1960, there were more than 37,300. The 1990 census counted 52,600 residents, making Green Township the second largest township in Ohio. Back in the 1800s, the township's original population of about 8,000 was spread out in communities with rather unusual names. The community boundaries have blurred with time, but the names remain as reminders of the township's early days.