Mission The Chino Valley Area Chamber of Commerce is organized to advance the eneral welfare and prosperity of the Chino Valley area so that its citizens and all areas of its business community shall prosper. All necessary means promotion shall be provided with particular attention and emphasis on the economic, civic, commercial,cultural, industrial and educational interest of the area. History Chino Valley is the site of the first Territorial Capital of Arizona. The capital moved to Prescott, 15 miles away, in 1864. U.S. Army Cavalry Lt. Amiel W. Whipple, while traveling throughB the are in 1854, gave the community itsB name. "Chino" is the Mexican name for the abundant curly grama grass growing in the area. In 1895, a narrow gauge branch of the United Verde and Pacific Railroad to Jerome, joining the Prescott and Arizona Central, was completed, and Jerome Junction was established. Between 1900 and 1925, the activities of Jerome Junction were absorbed by Chino Valley. The town is in north central Arizona, on state Highway 89, 15 miles north of Prescott and 35 miles south of Ash Fork, which is on Interstate 40. It was incorporated in 1970 and is at an elevation of 4,750 feet. Chino Valley and the surrounding area has experienced explosive growth since the town was incorporated in 1970. The greater Chino area has overB 12,000 residents who primarily shop in Chino Valley. Yavapai county is 40,000 square miles and is nearly half the size of North Dakota. Affordable land and the availability of services will continue to attract new businesses in the future.