In the 1880s, the Swedish Evangelical Covenant Mission Friends saw immigrants in need of care, and the group selected the hospital's present-day site at Foster and California Avenues in Chicago to help. Called the "Home of Mercy," it opened doors to patients on April 1, 1886. Original records of the Home of Mercy describe a hospital with 12 iron beds, two wooden wash stands, a bookcase, sofa, swing and a table with six chairs. By 1890, 128 patients had been served, and Swedish Covenant Hospital began to expand. And by 1903, the erection of a full-scale 40-bed hospital facility was established, and Swedish Covenant Hospital began its continuous growth. Throughout the next 100 years, the hospital underwent multiple transformations and expansions in response to the needs of the community. Over the years, many changes have occurred, but the mission remains the same: commitment to caring for patients as whole persons in their uniqueness, with an atmosphere of professional excellence and human kindness. While offering comprehensive and technologically advanced health services, the tradition of compassionate care for patients continues today. Technology changes. Compassion does not.