Olive-Harvey College10001 S Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL 60628
Olive-Harvey College was formed in the fall of 1970 as a result of the merger of two City Colleges of Chicago: the Southeast College, founded in 1957, and Fenger, founded in 1958. These two Colleges had been operating separately, with different faculties, administrations, student populations, educational philosophies, and purpose. The merger included the adoption of the Olive-Harvey name and a new location. The College was named for two Chicagoans who lost their lives in Vietnam - Milton Olive III, a paratrooper, and Carmel B. Harvey, an infantryman. Both heroes were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously. Olive-Harvey College has been located at its present 67-acre campus since its inception. Initially, it was housed in a set of nine prefabricated, steel structures. In 1981 the College moved most of its operations to a newly constructed main building, with ample space, equipment, laboratories and other facilities. In the Spring of 1988, the physical facilities expanded with construction a satellite facility, the South Chicago Campus on 92nd Street between Baltimore and Houston, in the far east of the College's service area.