City Of ChandlerNorth West Of City, Chandler, OK 74834
Founded after the 1891 Land Run, Chandler grew quickly as one of Oklahoma's oil boom towns. Our name was requested to honor George Chandler, the First Assistant Secretary of the Interior. The request was approved by President Benjamin Harrison. Chandler is the County Seat of Lincoln County - thus the location of the courthouse, sheriff's office, and jail. At the time of the 1891 Land Run, all Oklahoma counties were identified by a letter. The residents of each county later voted on a name. Our county was known as "County A." On November 8, 1892 the citizens of County A went to the polls to choose a name. The three selections were Springer, Lincoln, and Sauk & Fox. Highlights from the Past: Chandler's main street is a continuation of Historic Highway 66 that crosses the United States. From the West Coast to Chicago, Lincoln County was the only county that paid to have the road paved.