A science and technology center which provides entertaining learning experiences that inspire and stimulate the imagination. The Science Station is housed in an historic brick structure built in 1917 as a fire station. The building was used as a fire station until 1985. When the city moved the fire crew and equipment to another site, Junior League of Cedar Rapids Inc. undertook a major fundraising drive to renovate the building into a public hands-on science museum. Science Station opened to the public in 1986 and was a three-year project for Junior League after which it was turned over to the community. The firemen's pole remains vertical on the main floor. A display of original fire station photographs is displayed on the main floor as well. In October of 2000, the Science Station opened the Alliant Energy Gallery. This 13,500 sq. ft. building includes a main level that expanded the exhibit areas and houses the museum's administrative offices. The lower level of this building is used for exhibit storage and fabrication. The McLeod/Busse IMAX Dome Theatre opened on March 30, 2001. This building contains the theatre, a large meeting space that can accommodate 125 people, gift shop, restrooms and an updated modern lobby area.