Father Escalante and Father Dominguez entered the Enoch area in the fall of 1776. They founded a route which was known as the Old Spanish Trail. Markers and remnants of the Old Spanish Trail traverse from the northeast corner of Enoch in a western direction, through the northwest corner of the Garden Park Subdivision, and on to the Iron Springs area in the county. Johnson's Springs, Johnson's Fort, or Enoch as it is now known, is located six miles northeast of Cedar City, and twelve miles southwest of Parowan. Southern Utah was settled by pioneers under the direction of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Settlers were sent by companies to establish communities throughout the state. Several histories have been told and retold, and then accepted as the way Enoch was first settled. In an effort to correct the conflicts that were present, Marjorie R. Christiansen, as secretary for the Genealogy Committee wrote to the Historian's Office in Salt Lake City. Historian Earl E. Olson replied with the following excerpts from the journal of the founder of Enoch, Joel H. Johnson.