The Cassville United Methodist Church has quite a distinctive history. The first Methodist Circuit Rider in Barry County came through in 1836. Circuit Riders covered 6-12 counties and would stop by each town every one to three months to meet with the Methodists, to preach, baptize, and perform or solemnize marriages. The Sanctuary portion of the facility was the first church in Cassville. It was built in 1844 and the church was known as the Union Church, and was used by a number of denominations such as the Disciples of Christ, Presbyterians, Baptists, and Methodists. The congregation was formally organized in 1852. The Christian Church established their own congregation in 1887. Next was the Baptist Church, then the Presbyterian. In the 1800's the Methodist denomination split several times reflecting the language, political and social divisions in our nation. In the 1900's the denomination healed many of those wounds and has merged several times bringing together the Methodist Episcopal, the Methodist Episcopal-South, the Methodist Protestant, the Evangelical and the United Brethren together into the United Methodist Church. Throughout the 20th Century the Church has declined and grown with the community. The facility has changed with the changing times adding additional educational facilities, a nursery, a pastor's study, and a basement in 1952. In 1967, the sanctuary was enlarged and other remodeling was done. In 1971, the Sanctuary was enlarged again, air conditioning was added with other renovations. In 1988, an Educational wing was added with a new kitchen and a number of classrooms. In the 1990's the Sanctuary was turned 180 degrees, refurbished and audio-visual equipment was added. As we enter the 21st Century we have added diversity in Worship, excellence in teaching opportunities and expanded our missions outreach from the Cassville Community to the other side of the globe.