Our Lady Of Peace Parish1001 39th St NW, Canton, OH 44709
Our Lady of Peace Church Community was established on June 27,1952 by the decree of Bishop Emmett M. Walsh, Bishop of the Diocese of Youngstown. Most of the early parishioners were from the parishes of St. John and St. Peter. Today about 1400 families call Our Lady of Peace Home. The first pastor was Fr. Paul Marceau, who began celebrating parish Mass at the chapel of Sancta Clara Monastery. Ground was broken for the new church on November 8th 1953, the cornerstone was laid on May 23, 1954 and the first Mass was celebrated on December 8th, 1954 the feast of Mary under the title of the Immaculate Conception. A very important mission of the church began with the establishment of the Parish school in 1957. The Sisters of the Daughters of Charity staffed the school for many years, followed by the Ursuline Sisters of Youngstown and then by the Sisters of the Humility of Mary. The school now numbers about 270 students K thru 8. The sisters occupied the convent , built in 1957 to the west of the Church until it gradually became a Parish center, housing the school kindergarten and library and parish meeting rooms. In 1975 major renovations were made in the Church which included the establishment of a small chapel for private prayer on the west side of the sanctuary. Today this chapel is open 24 hours a day for perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. In May of 1999 the new Parish Activity Center, located at the northwest end of the property, was dedicated.