Harter Elementary School3408 13th St SW, Canton, OH 44710
(330) 456-1001 Additional Contacts
Harter Elementary School is named after Elizabeth A. Harter, who in 1925 donated the site on which the school stands -- with a proviso that a school be built thereon within three years from the date of the deed. The offer was accepted by the Board of Education, and ground was broken for the new school in August of that year. Cost of the school was $67,895, and Charles E. Firestone was the general contractor. Mrs. Harter was the only daughter of Cornelius Aultman, an inventor and manufacturer of mowing machines. In the later years of their married life, Mrs. Harter and her husband lived in a beautiful home situated in a large park on Market Avenue North, which later became known as the Harter Estate. It is now the site of the Canton Civic Center and Cultural Center for the Arts. Mrs. Harter was known for her generosity. She founded Aultman Hospital in memory of her father, the Aultman Nurses' Home, and the Aultman Home for Aged Women. She traveled extensively and was prominent in her work on behalf of the Y.W.C.A. In 1948 the Board of Education authorized the construction of four additional classrooms to meet the immediate needs of Harter School. Construction contracts were awarded on June 24, 1948, in the amount of $44,344 for the construction of the first addition, to be added to the south end of the original building. On Nov. 29, 1949, contracts were authorized in the amount of $283,974 for the second addition. This included the construction of five additional classrooms, kindergarten, practical arts room, gymnasium, auditorium, library, kitchen, clinic and auxiliary rooms. The contract included painting of the original building, installation of new light fixtures and a heating plant in the existing building, and an electronic clock system in the entire structure. A public address system and new classroom equipment were purchased at a cost of $11,725. As part of the Design for the Future building program, a new, $7.5 million Harter Elementary will begin construction in Summer 2004. During construction (2004-05 school year), Harter students and staff will temporarily relocate to the former Baxter School building at 3408 13th St. S.W. .