In 1972 Laura Sue Toby and Helen Vaughn undertook the task of organizing and pursuing the creation of a public library for Taylor County. With their hard work and the help of many other individuals, the dream of a public library soon became a reality. In 1974 Taylor County was approved for Library Services and Construction Act Funds during a Library Demonstration Project, then renovation began. Under the direction of Elaine Munday, the Taylor County Public Library first opened its doors to the public on January 13, 1975 with a collection of 16,842 volumes of books and other materials. The building that now houses the library was built in 1889 under the influence of the Reverend W.D. Arvin. His funeral was the first to be held at the church. His wife's funeral was the last funeral held in the church while still a Baptist Church. The building was purchased from the Campbellsville Baptist on October 26, 1916 by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.