FPHA (Federal Public Housing Authority) assisted in setting up a citizens association. When the NAS Patuxent River Fire Department declined to accept the responsibility for the fire protection in the Lexington Park and surrounding area, the FPHA officials came to the citizens association and asked them to organize a fire department. In October, 1943 the Lexington Park Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated. In 1945, the first three bay of the current Lexington Park Station was built. This new fire department provided fire protection served by the Great Mills telephone exchange. This exchange serviced area south of Sandy Bottom on Rt-235 and Chingville Road & Rt-5 south to Piney Point/St. Georges Island and Point Lookout (currently served by the Ridge VFD (1949), Second District VFD&RC (formerly McKay's Beach - 1949) and the Hollywood VFD -1957).