Cadillac was incorporated as a city in 1877, after its settlement as a logging community. The city covers nine square miles including Lake Cadillac. It was named after Antoine De La Mothe Cadillac, a Frenchman who made the first permanent settlement at Detroit in 1701. In addition to being the site of numerous logging mills, Cadillac was also home to the Michigan Iron Works Company, which manufactured Shay locomotives. Ever proud of our heritage, a restored Shay locomotive is on display in downtown Cadillacs City Park.