The Mott Haven Branch of The New York Public Library, open to the public since 1905, is the oldest library building in the Bronx. The brick and limestone structure was declared an official New York City landmark in 1969. The branch serves a large and diverse community of all ages, with strong links to neighborhood schools. The branch also houses a Center for Reading and Writing, a special program for new adult readers. There is a community room on the third floor that is available for community group meetings as well as library programs.