The function of the Recreation & Parks Department is to provide both active and passive recreational opportunities through program planning and park facilities. The Recreation & Parks programs and facilities are the heart of our community. Our facilities and programs refresh and rejuvenate our citizens, energize our economy, improve our environmental health and connect us as families and as a community. The benefits of Recreation & Parks programs and facilities are endless. In the early 1920's the Recreation & Parks Department was established. In the beginning the Department shared the community building with the National Guard. The building was built in 1922 and is now known as the Gibson-Aiken Center. In the early 1970's the Town purchased the building from the Guard and renovated it into a Recreation Center including a Senior Center. In the early 1950's, through a community-wide fund drive the Town purchased the Clarke Family Farm, now known as Living Memorial Park. The community along with many service organizations developed the Park into what we have today.