The Berwick Public Library Association was formed on January 16, 1916 and the first Berwick Public Library was opened on July 16, 1916. The library was located at City Hall in the Jackson Mansion on Market Street in Berwick. There were 1,400 books available for circulation, all donated by residents of the community. Miss Jesse Wilson was the first librarian.The Jackson Mansion, original home of Berwick Public Library A larger full-time facility was built in 1967 at the corner of Second and Chestnut Street, the site of the former Berwick Water Company. The building campaign was spearheaded by the Berwick Lions Club. Earl V. Wise, founder of Wise Potato Chip, was also instrumental in the establishment of the new library building. The new facility, open 24 hours per week, offered an extended collection of 10,000 books and a larger staff consisting of a librarian, one paid clerk, and many volunteers. Today, the library has over 35,000 items available to the public and is open more than 50 hours in a typical week. The staff has also grown to include two directors, each sharing different responsibilities, and employs 8 or more staff members on a regular basis.