Mission Statement: We, the people of Saint John Neumann Parish, recognize our baptismal call to continue the mission of Jesus and to grow as a Faith Community. Our parish adopts the Episcopal motto of Bishop John Neumann, "Passion of Christ, Strengthen Us!" This motto reflects our Mission in uniting our hearts with Christ and proclaiming his gospel and message boldly and proudly. Through the intercession of Saint John Neumann, we pray for his guidance and direction in teaching our Catholic Faith and in deepening our love and respect for the Eucharist. We pray for God's guidance and strength to continue to bear witness to Jesus Christ and to make our parish a beacon for all who seek God's light in their lives. History: St. John Neumann, like each of the greater Ocean City area churches, is born from a mother church within the Diocese of Wilmington. St. Mary Star of the Sea, the first Catholic Church established in Ocean City in 1877, was a mission of St. Francis de Sales Parish in Salisbury. St. Mary, along with its mission Holy Savior, became its own parish in 1967. Then, St. Luke - St. Andrew was developed as a mission of St. Mary Star of the Sea/Holy Savior until 1985 when it became its own parish with 558 families. Continual growth led to St. John Neumann's roots as a mission church of St. Luke - St. Andrew. Construction of the Saint John Neumann Church in Ocean Pines began in 1991, led by the pastor, Father William J. Porter. On January 5, 1995, Bishop Mulvee celebrated the dedication Mass of Saint John Neumann Church and Religious Education Center. The bishop said he was pleased to dedicate the church to St. John Neumann, who as bishop of Philadelphia exercised his ministry over the Ocean City area in the mid-1800s. By 2006 the parish was home to 2,500 families, representing an overall increase of 400% since its founding twenty years earlier. It was time once again for the mission church to become its own parish. On October 1, 2006 Bishop Saltarelli appointed Father Thomas J. Protack as the fifth pastor of St. Luke - St. Andrew and St. John Neumann Parish and tasked him with the development of the new St. John Neumann Parish. A Steering Committee was established to coordinate the pastoral, financial, liturgical, educational, and buildings needs. Many volunteer and staff hours were spent in the transition year to ensure the smooth development of St. John Neumann Parish. Currently, Saint John Neumann Parish has approximately 1700 registered families.