The Bellmore Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1897 with the Advance Hook, Ladder and Engine Company #1. Hose Company #1 joined in 1922 and Engine Company #2 in 1925. West End Engine Company #3 is our newest company, incorporating in 2002. The Bellmore Fire Department provides round-the-clock protection of residents, business people and workers living and employed in an area of 3.5 square miles. The department is all-volunteer with approximately 100 men and women making up the ranks of highly trained firefighters and firemedics. Bellmore was first settled back in the mid-1600's as a farm community. Today, it is a thriving residential and business community located on the south shore of Long Island, just a few miles from world famous Jones Beach and a quick 50-minute ride on the Long Island Rail Road from Midtown Manhattan. Bellmore Village has been completely restored to resemble an old-fashioned downtown. For more information on shopping and services, please visit the Bellmore Chamber of Commerce Website at www.bellmorechamber.com. A complete list of important websites and phone numbers can be found by clicking "Community Links". From the early days of a bell ringing to sound an alarm of fire, to a state-of-the-art volunteer fire service, the men and women of the Bellmore Fire Department are proud to serve our neighbors in Bellmore.