The Norris District Mission Statement: A Belief in the worth and dignity of each and every person. A Respect for the knowledge and a strong commitment to provide quality educational opportunities for each of our students. A Conviction that democratic societies have more to offer than totalitarian societies. A Faith in reason and in an orderly solution of conflict. A Belief in the protection of personal liberties within the limits of the law. A Belief that our success as an educational institution is measured primarily by the success and achievement of our students. About Us: The Norris School District started with the donation of one acre of land from Bob Norris homestead. The District was formed and the boundary established in 1880. In 1882 the first Norris School was built. This first school was a one room red structure that can still be seen at Pioneer Village, Kern County Museum. Students arrived to school on horseback or on horse drawn vehicles over narrow dirt roads. Drinking water came from a hand pump, a bucket and a communal dipper. A wood stove heated the room that contained students from grade levels first through eighth. The original building was used for 32 years before it was moved to the Rosedale Ranch where it was used for grain storage until it was presented to Pioneer Village in 1959. In 1917 there were 196,000 one-room schools in the United States. Today there are 400 such schools. At Norris we want to maintain the one-room school atmosphere. An atmosphere where there is a bond between students and their teachers, with a high degree of parental involvement and a sense of loyalty between our community and the schools that serve them. In 1914 two additional acres were purchased for the school from Mr. Coughran. A new building was built that also housed a large bell used to summon the students to the classroom. That bell still stands outside the Norris Cafeteria. The original school site grew from one acre in 1880 to ten acres by 1980. The student population grew from 25 students to 622 in the same time period. The original Norris school site grew to 28 acres by 1992 when school enrollment grew to 1,264. The Norris District continues to respond to housing growth within the District. Olive Drive Elementary was built in 1988 and opened in 1989. Nine additional classrooms were added in 2003. Bimat Elementary was built during the 2000-01 school year and was open for students for the 2001-02 school year. A new Norris Elementary campus is scheduled to open for the 2005-06 school year. The original Norris School site, now expanded to 28 acres, will be all middle school for the 2005-06 school year.