History : Loud township is a township within the county of Montmorency which is located in the city of Atlanta, MI. Montmorency was formed in 1881 where the area land was taken from Cheboygan and Alpena county. It was first named "Cheonoquet" after a well known Chippewa Chief, whose name meant Big Cloud. Finally in 1843 the present name wa adopted after Count Morenci who had aided the colonies in the American revolution. Today Montmorency County is a gret place to view the beautiful sites of northern Michigan, and is becoming a great attraction for tourist who are looking for a good place to rest and relax. Loud Township was originally started as a saw mill township, which included a total of 8 saw mills in operation. The small township was once booming due to the demand for the michigan timber that is so abundant in northern Michigan. But by the turn of the century the lumber industry which was once booming was now starting to dwindle away. The combined population was once ten to twelve thousand was reduced to about three thousand. So in light of the reduction in demand for Timber and the population of the towns, there was only one option for them and that was to turn themselves into a small fishing town.