History: The area now encompassed by the Borough of Athens was once the site of a Cayagas Indian stronghold known as Teaoga Diahoga. This village flourished for a century and a quarter and was one of the most strategic and important Indian towns in the state. During the French and Indian War of 1754-67, Teaoga Diahoga was the rendezvous of the force which laid waste to the whole northern frontier of Pennsylvania. Diahoga was temporarily abandoned in 1758 but reestablished in 1759. In June 1778, this settlement was again used as a rendezvous. But this time it was used by British regulars, Tories and Indians which committed the Wyoming Massacre in September of that year. Because of this act, Teaoga Diahoga was destroyed by Colonel Thomas Hartly thenceforth ceasing its existence as an Indian village. During General John Sullivan's campaign against the "Six Nations" he reached Tioga Point on August 11, 1779. His force at this time consisted of 3,500 men and a flotilla of 214 boats. Upon his arrival Sullivan ordered the erection of Fort Sullivan, a stockade fort. On August 22, General James Clinton's division joined Sullivan's force, bringing the man power to 5,000 men or one-third of the whole continental Army. During September of 1779, the Sullivan expedition achieved its objective and on October 3, Fort Sullivan was demolished and the forces returned to the coast. In 1724, Matthias Hollenbeck established a trading post on the site of the former Indian village. This was the beginning of Athens Borough as we know it today. With the establishment of a trading post, a settlement quickly sprang up. In the same year a ferry was established between Tioga and the east side, this being the first ferry across the Susquehanna in the county. In 1736 Tioga Point, as it was then known, was laid out by a surveyor from the Susquehanna Company. This makes Athens the oldest plotted village in Northern Pennsylvania that remains as laid out by its founders. In 1801 Tioga Point's name was changed to Athens. The name Athens was chosen because of the physical similarity to ancient Athens - on a peninsula partly encircled by hills. Athens was incorporated on March 29, 1831. In 1840, the town had a population of 435. A year later a bridge was built across the Susquehanna. By 1850 the population increased to 706. In 1854 the North Branch Canal was opened with a port and boat yard in Athens. The population increased to 837 in 1860 and 965 in 1870. By 1880 the population jumped to 1,592. This was also the peak employment period of the Athens bridge works. By 1890 the population was 3,274 and reached 4,400 by 1920.