The Muchnic house, one of the most elegant of Atchison's stately Victorian mansions, was built in 1885. The 14-room, three story, brick residence was built by a lumber merchant, George W. Howell. It was purchased by H.E. Muchnic, founder of LFM (now Atchison Casting), in 1922 for $9,000. The house is now owned by The Muchnic Foundation, which has made it available to the community for use as a gallery and for related art functions. The Atchison Art Association is responsible for the management of the gallery.