Ashtabula Masonic Temple4443 Main Ave, Ashtabula, OH 44004
In connection, with the 150 year history of Rising Sun Lodge No. 22 F & A.M., it would seem appropriate to include at this time, a brief description of the events which lead to the erection and occupation of the present and only Masonic Temple now existing in the City of Ashtabula. The idea of again having a Temple of their own, for the use of Masonic Bodies meeting locally was probably conceived prior to 1909. (Appendix VIII) There is recorded evidence that the Lodge was looking for a suitable building site in that year. First notices to the Masonic Bodies who were then meeting in the old Lodge rooms in the Latimer Block on Main St., were sent out in May of 1911. Incorporation papers were taken out with the Secretary of the State of Ohio on June 23rd, 191@, under the name of the Ashtabula Masonic Temple Company. The Company was capitalize at 20,000.00 with 400 shares of capital stock with a $50.00 par value. It is apparent that some of the stock was subscribed because on August 17th a stock holders meeting was held at which time, seven directors for the corporation were elected to the board. (Appendix V) The corporation was formed for the purpose of furnishing to the Masonic and affiliated Bodies of the city, suitable rooms for Lodge and club purposes, to acquire, and hold title to the necessary real estate, to sell or exchange the same, and to build maintain and operate thereon a suitable structure for such purposes, to rent or lease portions thereof not used as aforesaid, for offices, stores or other purposes and to do all things necessary or incident thereto.