About Us: We at Bethany Baptist Church are a people who profess a living faith. Our faith is rooted and grounded in Jesus Christ who is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The sole authority for our faith and practice is Jesus Christ whose will is revealed in the Holy Scriptures. History: For 150 years, Bethany Baptist Church has been a church home for many families in the Andalusia and Heath area. Bethany was organized in 1857, just 34 years after the Alabama Baptist State Convention was founded. One year later, Bethany became a member of the Zion Baptist Association (now the Covington Baptist Association). Over these 147 years, Bethany has seen many changes. For example, the membership of our church has grown. Our records indicate that we had an enrollment of 89 people in 1902. Presently, we have over 600 members in our church. Because of our growth over the years our buildings have had to change. In the early 1800s, Bethany met in a wooden structure on the same property as where we are now. It is recorded in past historys of our church that these wooden structures were very unstable and would lean a foot to the east or west according to which way the wind was blowing. The pews in these first structures were made of wooden slats. They were rough and unpainted. In 1949, the first brick church building was constructed. Rev. Rueben B. Davis was pastor. In 1966, the educational building was added. It included a fellowship hall, and kitchen. Because of growth once again, additional space was needed. In 1991, an addition to the sanctuary of the church was built. In 1993, the new pastorium was completed. The old pastorium was then used for youth functions. April 2, 2000 we moved into a new 6000 square foot family fellowship center. In this fellowship center we held worship services, Sunday school, weekly family night meals, banquets, musicals, prayer meetings, and seminars. On March 4, 2001 we broke ground for our new worship center, and moved in it January 27, 2002. It includes a large worship center, choir room, and a bridal/ prayer room. Our worship center has the seating capacity of over 600. February 24, 2002 we dedicated our new sanctuary. It is true that our church has experienced some growing pains over the last couple of years, but as history will attest, it is necessary to further the Kingdom of God. Our biggest challenges lie ahead. As our church family did before us, we must do now...GROW!