About Us Alvin Lutheran Church was founded in November 1937 as a group of citizens gathered together for the purpose of forming a Lutheran congregation. The congregation was granted a charter by the American Lutheran Church, a predecessor body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We are a part of the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod, which is under the care of Bishop Paul J. Blom. We are a medium-sized congregation with a big heart. Situated in Alvin, a town of 21,000 people, we are located approximately 35 miles South of Houston, in rapidly-growing Brazoria County. We are meeting the challenge of having rural roots, yet moving forward as Alvin is growing quickly to become a suburb of Houston. We are committed to proclaiming the Word of God and celebrating the Sacraments as we live out our baptismal calling to make disciples of Jesus Christ. Fifteen pastors have served in Alvin since our beginning in 1937. With our first pastor, the Revd. Wilson V. Hill, all the way to our current pastor, the Revd. Joseph Summerville, we have had faithful shepherds walking with us as we proclaim God's grace in this community.