The First Baptist Church of Alpine was organized April 14, 1893. The church began with nine founding memberseight women and one Texas Ranger turned rancher, Julius C. Byrd. For twelve years the group met in different buildings. In October 1894, the young congregation called their first pastor, Rev. D. B. Rose, and the following year constructed a small adobe building on the corner of Fourth Street and Avenue D (the present site). The present church sanctuary was built in 1916-17 under the leadership of Rev. James Tartt. After the debt was paid, the church was dedicated on June 13, 1926. Rev. L. E. Millican, the "Cowboy Preacher," led the dedication service for the new sanctuary. Millican, one of the colorful preachers of the "old west" had also led the dedication event for the adobe building in 1895. FBC's mission vision extended to the students at Sul Ross State University. The Baptist Student Union began in 1948. By 1951, the BSU moved into the building which is still being used. The building was built with some funds from Alpine but largely with financing from the Baptist General Convention of Texas. FBC continues to be the largest local contributor to the student work, which is now called the Baptist Student Ministry (BSM). The church also started a mission in Pilares, Mexico in 1968 (the church no longer exists). The church also assisted and sponsored Second Baptist Church (now Hillside).